Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The I-don't-have-time-for-this leftover soup

Soup du jour
I probably make soup three times a year. It's not really Greg's thing, for whatever reason. He doesn't even like tomato soup with grilled cheese! That's just inhuman if you ask me. 

Half inspired by Corey's leftover ham soup recipe and half inspired by whatever I had on hand, I threw together my version in the slow cooker and it turned out great. Even though I make soup three times a year, and consume ham once a year. Oh, and the ham was in a Food Saver bag in the freezer labeled "Christmas 2011." Yep, we love that Food Saver.

I-don't-have-time-for-this Hammy Kale Soup

You'll need:
  • 2 cups diced cooked leftover ham
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 3 medium potatoes (your fave kind), peeled if you like and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 2 large or 8-9 baby carrots, sliced into about 1/8" slices
  • 5 or 6 big leaves of curly kale, cut into narrow ribbons
  • About 5 cups of good chicken or veggie stock 
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Herbes de Provence
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp. pink Himalayan salt 
  • A few grinds of pepper


Kale and carrots? I'm in!
To make:
Heat large frying pan to medium, add a glug of olive oil and add the ham. It needs to start to carmelize, about 8 minutes. Add onion and garlic, and saute for about 5 minutes to soften the onions.

Dump mixture in the slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients, stir gently. 

Cook on high for four hours or low for six or seven hours. 

And that's it!
  


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...