Last night, I decided to use some ingredients that were in the kitchen while sneaking in some healthy eats.
Enter the deconstructed spicy black bean burgers with purple potato oven fries!
- Carmelize onions in a pan with cooking spray and set aside
- Heat up a tortilla to act as the 'base' for each burger (just heat on each side until golden and bubbly)
- Now, heat the spicy black bean veggie burgers from Morningstar Farms - when you flip the burgers, put just a tablespoon or two of mozzarella on each and cover the pan to melt them
- Create your 'deconstruction' on the plate - tortilla, burger with cheese and onion, tomato slices, Romaine lettuce and a jalapeno dill pickle spear (I stuck a toothpick in the middle to stack it nicely)
- Serve with your fave condiment if you like (I do a bit of EVOO mayo with Sriracha and salt/pepper/onion powder/garlic powder)
- Optional - sprinkle with a modest amount of decadent salt, such as alderwood smoked sea salt (those are the funny specks in this pic - love my different salts!)
|Purple potato oven 'fries'|
Slice your potatoes and throw in a bowl; drizzle with olive oil and salt/pepper/garlic powder/paprika/cayenne powder (whatever you like; experiment a bit). Throw onto a large round pizza stone which has been preheated in a 400 degree oven. Bake for about 35 minutes - watch it carefully so that the potatoes are nicely crisp on the outside but not burned. These look better in real life than they do in the photo, FYI....